Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's about time, huh?

Well...looks like I've decided to dip my toe into the "blogger-sphere". I don't know why. I really don't have a lot to say... and if I do I don't know how well informed I am about the topics I'll talk about. But I guess that's the point. This is a "space" to share my thoughts and ideas on topics that are of interest to me.... and possibly to you. I don't know how often I'll blog...or about what.

For now... how about this....

First, I'd like to announce that I've signed a small market rock station to my voice over/production client list....

Welcome to WBRR-FM/Bradford PA.

For those that know me you'll know that I worked from 1994-2000 at legendary rocker WMMS "The Buzzard", and also at heritage oldies WMJI/Majic 105.7.

While there I got to know a then part-timer named Dan aka "Igor". After WMMS we went and did our own things....I went to Raleigh NC to work for AMFM, later Clear Channel. "Igor" got a fulltime radio gig and got into voiceovers and production himself, which later included K-Rock/Cleveland.

Anyway... fast forward to downsizing affecting each of us. I'm of course officially out of work since April 11 2008 when Cumulus Toledo let me go where I was Director of Creative Services for the 8 station cluster as well as Program Director for talk WTOD/Supertalk 1560.

Dan....er "Igor" finds himself in Bradford PA... near the New York State border.

Thankfully "Igor" thinks I sound good as a rock image voice and cons management there into hiring me to be their new "Voice". "Igor" is an extremely talented producer... so HE will make me sound better than I am.

So there's the story of how I snagged WBRR-FM.


And I've also just signed another small market rocker... Welcome as well to .... KEAU-FM THE ROCK HOG @ 102-7 in Great Falls MT. No website yet...hence no link.

A lovely sounding lady by the name of Tammie Toren, a longtime Great Falls vet, liked the way I sounded on local FOX affiliate KTGF-TV and wanted me to be her voice talent.

I will be providing voice and production for KEAU-FM.


And let's see.....

OH YES. Congratulations... publicly.... to my wife who just scored a new job with the Veterans' Administration in Sandusky OH. Great opportunity for her to get back into the Federal government. She worked for the USPS for 14 years before earning her degree and working the private sector for a few years. She was "downsized" this past Spring two months after I was.... which forced her to look for a job and lo-and -behold there was a Fed gig she was qualified for.

I SO should've stayed in college! That's just one of a very few regret's I have in life. Hopefully once we're settled in Sandusky (Huron) I will be able to go back to school... maybe for Computer Graphic Design.... or the always employable medical route and go into Physical Therapy. Always jobs...and they pay quite well.

TOUGH for a longtime "radio person" to transfer broadcast job skills to another industry. Even tougher is convincing prospective employers that my skillset is essentially marketing, public relations, sales, management, customer service, etc.


The freelance is coming along but I'm no Joe Cipriano or John Wells...not yet. I'm trying though. Need to do some direct mail marketing and take some vocal acting lessons. Maybe this January.

And lastly... I've been working with Sonus Marketing in Brentwood TN, outside Nashville, on some Contemporary Christian Music tour radio commercials for their clients. Recently I've voiced and produced tour spots for;

Seventh Day Slumber
The Art, Music Justice Tour featuring Sara Groves
Fireflight (Louisville KY)
Shawn McDonald's "Roots Tour"

And then there's my third year as the voice/producer for Canterbury Productions "Ultimate Doo Wop" shows and their "Doo Wop Yule Pop" shows coming to Charlotte, Omaha, Toledo, Austin, Merrilville IN and more.



You can check out my VO demos here or here

Well...maybe this blogging thing wasn't a good idea.... I hate typing, LOL!


Matthews.... OUT!

No comments: